Application: Wheelchair-Equipped Van
Problem: A new product designer approached us after an unsuccessful search for an existing spring that could handle the suspension requirements associated with converting a van to be wheelchair accessible.
The MWI Solution:
- Met with the customer to review existing spring applications and requirements
- Designed a variable rate spring that:
- fit within the OEM suspension environment
- handled the additional weight of the accessibility components
- provided the same ride height as the OEM suspension
- Developed a prototype spring and sent it to the customer for testing
The prototype spring performed well. The customer moved forward with their product design and eventually placed an order, bringing the new product to market as a means of equipping vans with wheelchair access.