Accessible Suspension Components
Application: Wheelchair Equipped Van
Problem: A new product designer approached us in frustration, unable to find a spring on the market that would handle the suspension requirements associated with converting a van to be wheelchair accessible.
The MWI Solution:
- Met with customer to review existing spring application and requirements
- Designed a variable rate spring that:
- fit within the OEM suspension environment
- handled the additional weight of the accessibility components
- provided the same ride height as the OEM suspension
- Developed a prototype spring and sent it to the customer for testing
The prototype spring performed very well. The customer was able to move forward on their product design, eventually placing an order and bringing the new product to market as a means of equipping vans with wheelchair access.